What is Available?
Employee and Dependent Fee Waiver
If you are an eligible recipient of the CSU Employee Fee Waiver and Reduction Program please submit your faculty/staff or dependent employee fee waiver application for the anticipated term to [email protected]. This must be submitted one week before your fee payment deadline. Once submitted, SDSU Human Resources will notify Student Accounts of your eligibility to register for classes. Fee waiver applications should be submitted before the semester fee waiver submission deadlines.
Please note that CSU Employee Fee Waiver and Reduction Program will only waive the fees based on your collective bargaining unit. View the waived fees based on your collective bargaining unit.
CSU - Alan Pattee Scholarships
If you are the child of a deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employee who was killed in the course of their respective duties, you will not be charged system-wide mandatory fees or any mandatory campus fees at any California State University campus. For information refer to the Alan Pattee Scholarship Act, California Education Code, Section 68121. Please be aware that you are still responsible for fees not waived by the Alan Pattee Scholarship.
Exonerated Persons Waiver
In compliance with Assembly Bill No. 703, any student who has been exonerated (as that term is defined in Section 3007.05 of the Penal Code) will not be charged any system wide mandatory fees (ex. Basic Tuition, Professional Program Fees, Doctoral Program Tuition Fees, and application fees) if the student meets all of the following conditions:
- Completes and submits the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Meets the financial need requirements established for Cal Grant A.
- A student shall not have the student’s mandatory system wide tuition or fees waived pursuant to this subdivision in excess of the equivalent of six years of full-time attendance in an undergraduate program.
- A person who is eligible for a waiver of tuition or fees under this section may receive a waiver for each academic year during which the person applies for that waiver, but an eligible person may not receive a waiver of tuition or fees for a prior academic year.
- The waiver of tuition or fees under this section shall apply only to a person who is determined to be a resident of this state pursuant to this chapter.
- Students eligible for this waiver are still required to pay mandatory campus fees.
Current or Former Foster Youth Waiver
The California State University (CSU) Foster Youth Tuition Waiver is available for current and former foster care youth who are enrolled at a California State University campus in an undergraduate program. The purpose of the CSU Foster Youth Tuition Waiver is to provide increased access for current and former foster youth to higher education by providing a tuition waiver.
Students are exempt from paying the system wide tuition fee (this covers only state-supported courses) at any CSU campus. The tuition fee waiver only applies to the system wide mandatory tuition fee and application fee. It does not apply to campus-based mandatory fees. The waiver does not include campus fees, housing, books transportation or other costs of attendance. The amount of the waiver may be reduced by any state or federal aid, including scholarships or grants, received by the student for the academic year or semester/quarter.
- Is 25 years of age or younger.
- Has been in foster care for at least 12 consecutive months after reaching 10 years of age.
- Is under a current foster care placement order by the juvenile court.
- Was under a foster care placement order by the juvenile court upon reaching 18 years of age.
- Was adopted, or entered guardianship, from foster care.
- Completes and submits the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- This waiver would apply after other applicable federal and state need-based financial aid is awarded.
For more information visit the CSU Foster Waiver site.
CSU Over 60 Fee Waiver Program
California residents 60 years of age and older are eligible for a fee waiver for both undergraduate and post-baccalaureate programs. The program waives the $70 admission fee and most of the Basic Tuition & Fees. You will be responsible for paying a substantially reduced fee each semester in order to attend the University. Contact our office at [email protected] for exact fee amounts.
Participants must apply for admission during the regular application filing period and be admitted under regular SDSU admission requirements. Program participants will register on a space-available basis after regularly matriculated students have completed registration. For additional information contact to the Prospective Student Center.
Graduate Professional Business Waivers
If you are an eligible recipient of the Graduate Professional Business Fee Waiver please submit your Graduate Professional Business Fee Waiver request for the respective semester and eligible course to the Graduate Business Program Office, EBA 448, [email protected]. Once the waiver is approved by the Graduate Business department, please email the document to [email protected] at least before the first day of instruction. Please note that Graduate Professional Business Fee Waiver will only waive the Graduate Professional Business fees associated with the approved course.